Nickels for Know-How Referendum Poling Set for Six Richmond County Locations November 1st
Six polling places have been established in Richmond County. The polling locations are as follows:
- Richmond County Extension Office -123 Caroline Street, Suite 100 Rockingham
- USDA Farm Service Agency – 123 Caroline Street, Suite 400 Rockingham
- E. Vuncannon Inc. – 150 Railroad Street Ellerbe
- Mercantile on Broad -1708 E. Broad Ave. Rockingham
- Hamlet ACE Hardware – 28 W. Hamlet Ave. Hamlet
- Rockingham Farm Supply – 304 W. Greene St. Rockingham
The referendum is being held to let users and produces of feed or fertilizer decide if they wish to continue the self-assessment program. This program has been in place since 1948, and the law requires that a new referendum be held every six years.
A 2/3 favorable vote will mean that growers are willing to continue to assess themselves to support agricultural research and education. The assessment is fifteen cents per ton on feed and fertilizer produced in North Carolina.
The funds, about $1.4 million annually, are collected by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, and then allocated by the NC Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.’s 148 volunteer Board of Directors to support agricultural research and extension projects at NC State University to benefit agriculture in North Carolina.
For more information on the referendum please call your County Extension Office at 910-997-8255.